The Mercedes-Benz 300 SL (chassis code W 198) was produced from 1954 to 1963. It was first produced as a Coupe from 1954 to 1957 with gullwing doors and then from 1957 to 1963 as a Roadster. The direct fuel injected production version was based on the company's less powerful carburettor-powered overhead camshaft straight-6 engine 1952 racer, the W194. Mercedes-Benz introduced the 300 SL in February 1954 at the International Motor Sports Show in New York instead of in Europe and was largely the marketing creation of Max Hoffman. It was voted the "sports car of the century" in 1999. The 300 refers to its engine displacement of 300 centilitre or more specifically 2,996 cc (182.8 cu in). SL is the short form for "super-light" in German and refers to the light tubular frame construction.